4 Facts That Beginners Must Know About Acquiring a Heavy Rigid Licence

As the demand for freight transportation increases, Australia requires more truck drivers. It is estimated that in the coming decade, Australia will run short of such drivers. Therefore, acquiring a heavy truck licence can set you up on a path to employment and financial stability. A driving licence is critical for persons wishing to drive a vehicle on Australian roads. Although there are different classes of licences, you can read on to learn more about getting a heavy rigid (HR) licence and why. 

What is a Heavy Rigid (HR) Licence?

A person who has successfully passed a heavy rigid licence exam can drive a bus or truck with three or more axles. Such vehicles are usually eight or more tonnes when determined by the gross vehicle weight rating (GVM).

Why Get an HR Licence?

Acquiring an HR licence can open door in many sectors and industries, including logistics, mining, and trucking. A heavy rigid licence shows that you have the right skills and knowledge to drive trucks in this class on any Australian road.

What are the Requirements?

One common eligibility criteria for enrolling in a heavy rigid driving course is to pass a medical test that is conducted by a competent person, more specifically a medical doctor. Furthermore, an individual must have held a C-class or car licence for two years and a light rigid or medium rigid licence for a continuous period of one year.

Notably, light rigid and medium rigid are lower licence classes compared to the heavy rigid licence. You'll need previous licences to show that you have experience operating vehicles of lower tonnage and fewer axles. Therefore, the HR licence hones the skills that a driver already possesses with the difference being that a driver now operates bigger and heavier trucks.

Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA)

For you to get an HR licence, you must pass the heavy vehicle competency-based assessment (HVCBA). An HVCBA is a flexible way of learning and assessment because you can choose the right time to work with your trainer while also choosing your preferred vehicle in the heavy rigid class. Note that such an assessment should be done with a registered training organisation (RTO).

However, in cases where there is no RTO near you, then a road and maritime testing officer can conduct the test. Once you pass the HVCBA test, you can complete the licence application form and pay a licence fee. You also need to show proof of identity before being issued with the heavy rigid licence.

About Me

Automotive Advice: Fun Tips

Driving in your car can be a lot of fun. On this blog, we hope to make the experience even better for you. We have spent a long time gathering together all of our top tips which will hopefully help you to modify your car with additional parts and paint jobs. We don't work in the auto trade but we have developed a team of amateur car lovers who are here to bring you the best tips and tricks. So, if you want to find out how to improve your car's appearance or performance, you have come to the right place!